Serviced Office Design and fitouts case study
by 0813 Studio Commercial Interior Designs, Sydney, NSW.
Base building info.
Wakefield House and Festival Records Building, on the corner of Bulwara Road and Miller Street in Pyrmont, located in Sydney city fringe, is listed on the State Heritage register as an example of an inter-war functionalist industrial building. Built in 1939, it was occupied by C C Wakefield & Co, then (from 1962) by Castrol Oil. However, it is chiefly famous as the home (from 1967) of the Festival Records recording studio. Famous Festival artists whose work was recorded here include the Bee Gees, Johnny O’Keefe, Kylie Minogue, Yothu Yindi, Jimmy Little and Cold Chisel. Peter Allen recorded I Still Call Australia Home here.
Base building interior is clean, open ceiling, warehouse style windows.
Client leased 900sqm commercial space on the first floor of this heritage building. Handover condition: empty tenancy with new carpet installed, original open ceiling, original windows, warehouse style.
With 0813 Studio, we understand the requirement and features of any serviced offices and coworking space.
0813 studio design notes.
- Industrial look and feel.
- fully UTILIZE BASE BUILDING FEATURES.
- oPEN CEILING, WAREHOUSE INTERNAL WINDOW SYSTEM
- Neutral tone with small dose of orange and golden accent colors.
- iNDUSTRIAL LIGHTING DESIGN
- rEAL MATERIAL, REAL CONTRAST - TIMBER & METAL.
- tRENDY GREEN WALL.
We chose to retain the original base building features with the consideration of the followings:
- Low slab ceiling height. To have another layer of false ceiling to cover the existing exposed ceiling services, the left FCL would only be 2.2m throughout the tenancy. This would be too low.
- Cost saving solution
- Exposed ceiling is trendy and modern if done in a right way. And existing services are quite tidy. Only need a spray paint and minor modification.
With the approval of exposed ceiling from our client, we recommended several other design elements to reinforce the industrial warehouse design look and feel: metal windows as office glazing system, special lighting design with a mixture of warehouse lighting and linear pendant lighting, a green wall with live plants and automatic irrigation system... to name a few.
The project was such a success that the space has attracted potential clients.
director: Peter Wang MDes., BEng.
mobile: +61 466 20 0813
address: lvl 2, 65-71 belmore road, randwick, nsw 2031
monday - friday: 9:00 - 17:00
weekends: by appointments
please give us a call to book your one on one appointment and free consultation.