how to diy concrete effect walls by 0813 studio commercial interior designers.
In this article, we explore how to DIY concrete effect walls for your home
Want a trendy industrial look space? Concrete effect feature wall is a great idea. Concrete effect walls work really well with almost everything, especially with real timber and stone tiles, at the same time, providing a different texture to your wall finishes and a good contrast to any solid color walls around. It is not expensive to do it yourself (DIY), and it's not as hard to do as you thought might be! Here is how.
First thing first, what's a concrete effect wall?
Essentially, concrete effect wall is a special acrylic-based paint with thicker texture compared to other wear and wash paint. Easy to apply, not too smelly, and just take longer to dry between each coat.
"Concrete Effect walls certainly add tone, depth and texture to your space of any kind."
Material and Tools to DIY concrete effect feature walls:
- Dulux Concrete Effect Paint - there are 2 colors on the market, see below photos for details.
- Long Nap Roller
- Paint Brush
- Paint Tray
- Several 600 Grit Sandpaper
- Blue Tape
- Job Sheet
Head over to your local Bunnings or Dulux paint shop, and they will provide you with cost efficient selections. Cost: Dulux 4L Concrete Effect Paint is around $200, with all tools around $100.
1) Very important - protection, protection and protection. You want to paint the wall where only the wall itself, protet the surrounding edges (ceiling, skirting, adjacent walls) with blue tapes and your floor with job sheet.
2) Paint the edges with brush
3) Use long nap roll to paint in small section and then use trowel to redirect the concrete paint in random motion to create patterns
4) Work your way to cover the whole wall
5) Coffee time - 2 hours minimum to allow the first layer to dry
6) Repeat 2) - 4)
7) Coffee time - 2 hours minimum to allow the first layer to dry
8) Repeat 2) - 4)
9) Another 2 hours - 12 hours gap
10) Sand the wall lightly
11) Use trowel to push against wall lightly to reinforce the pattern
12) Sand a bit more
13) Wipe off the dust
Total time: 2 days - this could be done over a weekend!
Cost: $300 give or take for one feature area around 15-20sqm.
For more information, please contact us directly https://www.0813studio.com/contact
+61 466 20 0813
Level 2, 65-71 Belmore Rd., Randwick, NSW 2031
director: Peter Wang MDes., BEng.
mobile: +61 466 20 0813
address: lvl 2, 65-71 belmore road, randwick, nsw 2031
monday - friday: 9:00 - 17:00
weekends: by appointments
please give us a call to book your one on one appointment and free consultation.